This was where I found her off of a Craigslist add. In a guy's garage taken apart. No engine, no transmission. Exactly what I wanted! After a two decade break. Mustang madness bit me for the 2nd time. By this rodeo I've learned a few tricks and made a few friends :)
The good - he had the original engine in need of an overhaul and a 1974 302 engine that was rebuilt but never used. Rebuilt transmission and various assorted (mostly original) parts. All included in the sale. There is a shop I can build stuff in now :) right next to work. For a bargain of $8-10 per hour.
The bad - I had to get it all from Richmond to Ft. Meade Maryland by myself to re assemble it with rented equipment. Luckily these guys were good dudes and helped me out, did me a solid going above and beyond to help me loading up the truck and helping me put it on the trailer safely. I knew next to nothing about securing it.
The Ugly. Putting together any car you didn't tear apart from hundreds of bolts and parts. Operating off of a 20 year old memory of a motor swap and rebuild I did on a vastly more simplified 67.
The thing that amazed me and still amazes me is how well kept and rust free this thing was and is. Also it's blue is a bit hypnotic. Many people tell me it reminds them of what they actually used to see driving around 30 and 50 years ago.
From the ad! --->
A few weeks later....loading her up for the drive. I have to say...just going 2-3 hours driving an F-250 with a full trailer, Mustang and looooaded with parts this indeed made me glad I had not gotten the one north of Boston! However if a 51 year-old car this good was that far, I would have!
The good - he had the original engine in need of an overhaul and a 1974 302 engine that was rebuilt but never used. Rebuilt transmission and various assorted (mostly original) parts. All included in the sale. There is a shop I can build stuff in now :) right next to work. For a bargain of $8-10 per hour.
The bad - I had to get it all from Richmond to Ft. Meade Maryland by myself to re assemble it with rented equipment. Luckily these guys were good dudes and helped me out, did me a solid going above and beyond to help me loading up the truck and helping me put it on the trailer safely. I knew next to nothing about securing it.
The Ugly. Putting together any car you didn't tear apart from hundreds of bolts and parts. Operating off of a 20 year old memory of a motor swap and rebuild I did on a vastly more simplified 67.
The thing that amazed me and still amazes me is how well kept and rust free this thing was and is. Also it's blue is a bit hypnotic. Many people tell me it reminds them of what they actually used to see driving around 30 and 50 years ago.
From the ad! --->
My first or 2nd visit on 1/6/19.
A few weeks later....loading her up for the drive. I have to say...just going 2-3 hours driving an F-250 with a full trailer, Mustang and looooaded with parts this indeed made me glad I had not gotten the one north of Boston! However if a 51 year-old car this good was that far, I would have!
No comments:
Post a Comment